The Wild Foodies of Philly
In search of the food beneath our feet!
Listen to Episode 78 of You Bet Your Garden Mike McGrath interviews Lynn Landes, Founder of The Wild Foodies of Philly.
Wild Foodies Of Philadelphia On Vimeo by Lisa Iaboni
- Jul 30, 2021: Congratulations to Wild Foodie tour guide, Lady Danni of LandedGentress.com, who was featured in a New York Times article on foraging! How Black Foragers Find Freedom In The Natural World! https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/dining/black-foragers-nature-alexis-nelson.html
- Sep 29, 2020: Wild Food for All - Despite barriers, BIPOC foragers are reclaiming centuries-old traditions - https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/wild-food-for-all
- May 21, 2019: (The Wild Foodies of Philly!) 5 edible plants you can forage for in your backyard, and how to cook them by Grace Dickinson https://www.philly.com/life/edible-plants-onion-grass-burdock-root-thistle-wild-violet-20190520.html
- May 8, 2018: (The Wild Foodies of Philly!) Finding Edible Ingredients Right In The Backyard: http://www2.philly.com/philly/food/finding-edible-ingredients-growing-right-in-the-backyard-20180508.html
- Sep 21, 2016: Foraging: Where the Wild Foods Are http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/life/2016/09/21/foraging-food-edibles-deptford/90494736
- Wild Wednesdays @ Higher Grounds Cafe! Every Wednesday, Wild Edible Plants foraged from Awbury Arboretum will be featured in a dish prepared by "Wild Foodie" Alyssa Schimmel. Location: 631 North 3rd St., Philadelphia, PA 19123 (215) 922-3745 (8 am-9 pm). We hope this collaboration serves as a template for others to follow!
- Big News! Aug 29, 2015: Philadelphia Inquirer article on our "Forest-To-Plate" dinner! http://www.philly.com/philly/food/20150827_Free_food__A_five-course_meal_of_foraged_finds.html
- Good Article! Nov 11, 2015: Is Food Foraged in Cities Safe to Eat? Early research has found that some foraged urban foods are not only safe, they also have higher levels of nutrients -- http://civileats.com/2015/11/11/is-urban-foraging-cities-safe-to-eat-boston/
- Great Video! http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/09/opinion/mark-bittman-a-walk-on-the-wild-edibles-side.html?mwrsm=Email
- WHYY radio interview with Guest host Mary Cummings-Jordan talks with PATRICK HURLEY, associate professor of environmental studies and chair at Ursinus College who studies urban foraging, and TAMA MATSUOKA WONG, the professional forager and author of Foraged Flavor. http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2014/09/19/foraging-food/
- NPR interview: Jo Robinson, Eating On The Wild Side http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/10/195592468/Eating-On-The-Wild-Side-A-Field-Guide-To-Nutritious-Food // http://eatwild.com/jo.html Note: Refers to how nutrition has been bred out of our foods. But, I haven't read it yet, so can't make
- David Siller: http://www.gridphilly.com/grid-magazine/2013/6/3/the-lost-art-of-found-food-if-you-know-what-youre-looking-fo.html
- CityPaper article: http://www.citypaper.net/food/2011-03-17-spring-food-issue-urban-foraging.html
- The monarch's need the wild edible milkweed! If you have a yard, plant some milkweed!
MONARCH WATCH: http://monarchwatch.o...
- Aug 1, 2011: (Wild Foodies in Fairmount Park with David Siller) http://www.metro.us
- Oct. 18, 2010 NY Times In the Weeds | Foraging for Dinner in Oregon